Incorporation, LLCs and Other Business Structures

Business Law attorney, Lancaster Ohio 43130 Lawyer photo incorporation

The experienced attorneys at Dagger Law can help you determine what the best business structure best suits your needs, whether it is Incorporation, establishing a Nonprofit organization, or many other options.

Depending on what you chose there can be significant, or subtle, changes to taxes, liability, management and control, funding options, and opportunities. By meeting with one of our Business Law attorneys, you can be sure that you will receive guidance that you can confidently put into action. We can assist with the formation of any of the following business structures:

  • Limited Liability Company (LLC)
  • Incorporation (Inc)
  • General Partnership or Limited Liability Partnership (LLP)
  • Corporation (both S Corp and C Corp)
  • Sole Proprietorship
  • 501 c 3 and Not for Profit/nonprofit filings

While we can’t predict every question you might have, here are a couple that we hear regularly.

Q: How much does it cost to set up my own company?

A: It can depend on the complexity of the structure, and the amount of work required by the attorney to ensure that all aspects of liability and taxation are legally covered. For most basic services these filings can be accomplished for a flat fee, and our attorneys will handle all the proper filing and recording for you.

Q: Can’t I file with the Ohio Secretary of State on my own?

A: In many cases, you can file and register yourself. As of April 2019, there were over 120 different forms available on the Ohio Secretary of State website. Do you know which ones you need? Our experienced attorneys do, and they can handle this tedious task on your behalf. After that, there are communications with the IRS, the Ohio department of taxation, and all the proper licenses and permits. By utilizing an attorney you can ensure that the process is handled quickly, correctly, and with all of the necessary legal framework. It can be easier to utilize an attorney to establish the business than to use an attorney to fix anything that goes wrong as a result of not understanding which business structure to use. This really depends on your comfort level with completing the required paperwork, and willingness to assume the future risk.

We would advise that you use an attorney to handle the legal aspects of your company, as a trusted resource for you to lean on, which will allow you to stay focused on the rest of your business planning. Most businesses will find that at some point during their operation they will need to seek the services of an attorney. Whether that is because of employee issues, a lawsuit filed by a disgruntled customer, or because you need a contract reviewed or drafted, working with a lawyer from the very beginning can help establish that relationship with a legal resource who is aware of your goals and plans at a detailed level.

We proudly serve the following communities throughout Central and Southeastern Ohio:

  • Fairfield County
  • Franklin County
  • Hocking County
  • Licking County
  • Pickaway County
  • Baltimore, Ohio
  • Buckeye Lake
  • Canal Winchester
  • Circleville
  • Greater Columbus Area
  • Lancaster, Ohio
  • Logan
  • Newark, Ohio
  • other locations nearby

Check out the nearest location to you by clicking Our Locations Page

Q: Why should I incorporate or establish a business structure?

A: In many cases, this shifts the liability from being personal, in a sole proprietor role, to the business. This would mean that the company owns any potential business debt, and not you as an individual unless you have also given a personal guarantee. There may also be some worthwhile tax advantages for businesses, which can’t be realized as a sole proprietor. We suggest you consult with an attorney to determine which business structure may be right for you.

Q: What are the differences between articles of organization and articles of incorporation?

A: Articles of organization are filed for an LLC, while articles of incorporation are filed for a C Corporation or an S Corporation. In either instance, much of the same information is required to be filed with the Secretary of State in order to document the formation of your business. At the most basic level, this will include the name of the business, street address, and similar information.

Q: What is the difference between an S Corporation and a C Corporation?

A: The most obvious difference is in who pays the taxes. In a C Corporation, the tax is paid by the business itself, on any income, plus tax is paid on owner income. In an S Corporation, owners report the company revenue as personal income.

Q: Will a business structures attorney travel to me, or do I need to come to your offices in either Lancaster or Canal Winchester?

While some meetings will need to occur in our offices, we try to minimize your travel time. We offer two convenient office locations in Lancaster and Canal Winchester, Ohio. Our goal is to reduce the disruption to your life caused by legal issues and conduct most communications or meetings through emails or phone calls. In certain circumstances, we realize that clients can’t reach us, and we may be required to visit your location. Suppose you retain a Dagger Law attorney to represent you. In that case, they will travel to the necessary court hearings and legal procedures to represent you anywhere in Ohio! Please note that in some instances, the cost to represent your case may require an unusual amount of money due to travel expenses. In such cases, we may recommend using legal representation closer to the location of your case. We are happy to provide referrals in these instances if we are able.

Don’t see your particular issue listed above? That is no problem! We enjoy a challenge and are happy to assist you with the legal issue that you are facing. Use our convenient Contact Page to schedule an appointment to discuss your legal matter with an attorney.

Contact one of these Dagger Law attorneys for assistance with your business structuring needs.